Automation testing offers numerous advantages, including increased efficiency, consistency, and the ability to cover more code paths. But with so many options available, how do you choose the right automation tool for your needs? This is where WeTest comes in.
Why Are Automation Tools for Testing Necessary?
Software automated testing is a supplementary part of testing work that complements manual testing. Automated testing relies on software testing tools and scripts to achieve good operability, repeatability, and high efficiency.
Limitations of Manual Testing
Manual testing has certain limitations, including:
- It cannot cover all code paths.
- Basic functional test cases cannot be skipped in each test cycle. Since the workload is often large, repetitive, non-intellectual, and non-creative, it requires accuracy and meticulousness. Machines have an advantage over humans in this regard.
- Many issues related to deadlocks, resource conflicts, multi-threading, etc., are difficult to capture through manual testing.
- System stress and performance testing require the simulation of various test scenarios such as large data or concurrent users, which are difficult to execute through manual testing.
- System reliability testing requires simulating long-term system operation to verify if the system can run stably, which is difficult to execute through manual testing.
- If there are a large number of test cases (several thousand) that need to be completed in a short time (1 day), manual testing is almost impossible.
Advantages of Automated Testing
Automated testing has several advantages:
- Avoids repetitive work: For software that is already complete and mature, each new version released often has similar or identical functions and interfaces to the previous version. This makes it particularly suitable for automated testing, which can help achieve the goal of testing every feature.
- Increases testing efficiency: DCC version release cycles are often short, which means that the development cycle is only a few months long, and during the testing period, a new version is released every day or every two days for testing. With several thousand or tens of thousands of features in a system, manual testing is time-consuming and tedious, which can lower testing efficiency.
- Ensures consistency and repeatability of each test: Since the scripts run for each automated test are the same, each test has consistency, which is difficult for humans to achieve. Due to the consistency of automated testing, any changes to the software being tested can be easily detected.
- Better use of resources - weekends/nights: Ideally, automated testing can run completely automatically on schedule. In situations where it is impossible for developers and testers to work three shifts, automated testing can take on this task and run tests on weekends and at night. This fully utilizes the company's resources and avoids waiting between development and testing.
- Resolves conflicts between testing and development: Usually, in the final stages of development, during the integration testing phase, the number of errors in the testing system is relatively low compared to the beginning of each version release. At this time, developers have to wait for testing personnel to discover errors. In fact, in development models with short iteration cycles, there are more conflicts, but automated testing can solve the main conflicts.
Why is WeTest Worth Choosing as One of The Top Automation Tools for Testing?
WeTest's automation testing solution is one of the best available. It is a cloud-based mobile application testing service that offers automated testing in popular frameworks. With over 1000 real iOS and Android devices available, WeTest allows you to test your native mobile app on a wide range of devices, including Apple, Samsung, Pixel, Xiaomi, and Huawei. Integration with popular CI/CD tools makes it easy to trigger automated tests with each build action, and parallel test execution across multiple devices on the cloud reduces release times by more than 10x, giving your development teams fast feedback.
WeTest also offers powerful test analysis features, including logs, video recording, screenshots, case analysis, device analysis, and performance analysis. With WeTest Automation, you can debug and fix compatibility, functional, performance, and regression issues easily, making it a more efficient and repeatable process. The service also provides device maintenance, supports any native mobile test-automation framework and languages, and offers a powerful REST API for users to manage mobile automation testing.